The British Association of Journalists (BAJ) is the union of choice for journalists, both staff and freelances, working within newspapers, magazines, broadcasting and online media.
We welcome members who earn an income from being part of an editorial workflow process, encompassing reporters, hyperlocal editors, photographers, writers, sub-editors, page layout artists, news broadcasters and many other varied roles associated with the journalism Industry.
Our members benefit from:
- Direct and prompt access to specialist legal advice on employment issues including disciplinary, redundancy and discrimination.
- Representation at employment hearings and support throughout litigation in the court or the tribunal if necessary.
- Specialist copyright and intellectual property advice and litigation.
- Provision of legal and financial helplines.
- UK Press Card Accreditation
The BAJ is the recognised union for a dominant UK newspaper group. We negotiate robustly for the best outcomes for our members and members of a bargaining group.
The BAJ is proud to be a gatekeeper for the ‘UK Press Card’ scheme. Press Cards are available to members who need to identify themselves as working journalists on assignment.*
We believe that the BAJ is the best value for money union for journalists. We are streamlined, efficient and diligent having built a reputation for being responsive, caring and professional with a determination to ensure that our member’s rights and individual needs remain protected in our ever-changing and evolving industry.
Make the BAJ your Union – join today.
* ‘UK Press Cards’ are issued subject to meeting the criteria laid down by the UK Press Card Authority.