The BAJ is proud to be a gatekeeper for the ‘UK Press Card’ scheme. Two year Press Cards are available to BAJ members, who need to identify themselves as working members of the press while on assignment.*
A fee of £17.50 is charged to issue, renew or replace a UK Press Card.
The cost of a two year UK Press Card to freelance (non-members) is £65.00.
– Freelance applications for a UK Press Card will only be accepted if accompanied by the following;
- proof of identity, e.g. passport, driving licence etc. together with proof of home address.
- samples of verifiable published freelance journalistic work.
- a verifiable original signed letter on official headed paper, from the editor or managing editor of a recognised UK registered national or regional media outlet, certifying that the applicant produces paid work for them on a regular basis. Applicants can not supply letters signed by themselves.**
The ID card will carry the BAJ logo in the top right-hand corner identifying the issuing gatekeeper.
The UK Press Card application can be downloaded here in PDF format.
* ‘UK Press Cards’ are subject to meeting strict criteria laid down by the UK Press Card Authority. Membership of the BAJ does NOT guarantee entitlement. Please allow ten working days for your application to be reviewed, verified and processed.
** Photocopies, scans or PDF files from the editor or managing editor of a recognised UK registered national or regional media outlet, are not accepted. This must be an orignal document.!