UK Press Card and Royal Parks News Permit

UK Press Card

The BAJ is part of the UK Press Card Authority, which issues through Gatekeepers the only UK PRESS CARD formally recognised by all Police forces in the UK and other public bodies. The UK PRESS CARD is an essential ID verifier for journalists and newsgatherers working on assignments. A two-year Press Card is available to both members and non-members of the BAJ who need to identify themselves in public as genuine media workers.* – The card carries the issuing gatekeepers logo in the top right-hand corner, with multiple built-in security features that the Police and public bodies can quickly verify, including a unique user PIN number.

The cost of a two-year UK Press Card is £20.00 for BAJ members and £65.00** for non-members of the BAJ. Unlike most other Gatekeepers, you do not need to be a member of the BAJ to apply for a UK Press Card. However, we do not issue UK Press Cards to Vloggers or Bloggers regardless of how many subs, followers or likes you may have.!


* ‘UK Press Cards’ are subject to meeting strict criteria laid down by the UK Press Card Authority that the BAJ must follow for the issue of PRESS ID. Membership of the BAJ does NOT guarantee entitlement. Please allow ten working days for your application to be reviewed, verified and processed. 

** Applications for a UK Press Card will only be accepted if accompanied by the following;

  • Proof of identity, e.g. certified copy of a passport, driving licence etc., and proof of home address.
  • Samples of verifiable published paid journalistic work.
  • Verifiable original signed letter with a ‘wet’ signature on official headed paper from the editor or managing editor of a recognised UK national or regional media outlet, certifying that the applicant regularly produces paid work for them. Applicants can not supply letters signed by themselves.
  • A passport-style image of yourself.
  • Fake, altered or forged documents shall be considered an attempt to obtain UK PRESS accreditation fraudulently. BAJ will report such attempts to the police and share details with all UK Press Card Gatekeepers.


Royal Parks News Permit

If you are working on an assignment within the Royal Parks estate, along with a UK Press card, you will need a Royal Parks News Permit.

News permits are required for all media members wishing to film, photograph or sound record for news coverage on designated land managed by The Royal Parks. In addition, there are specific guidelines on what times, locations within the Royal Parks and subject matter you can take an image of, and these are detailed on the Royal Parks website and are subject to change at short notice.

These are:

  • Brompton Cemetery
  • Bushy Park
  • The Green Park (including Canada Gate for views of Buckingham Palace)
  • Greenwich Park
  • Hyde Park
  • Kensington Gardens
  • The Regent’s Park and Primrose Hill
  • Richmond Park
  • St James’s Park (including The Mall, Horse Guards Road & Birdcage Walk)

You can use the map below to check where a Royal Park News Permit is required. While the Whitehall area is included on this map, it is not part of the Royal Parks estate. However, holding a permit if you are working in and around this area is advisable. Note you must always display your permit when working on the estate property as the media are often challenged for their ID by the Police.

  • From 1 April 2022, news permits will cost £150 (ex VAT) per year. Permits can take up to ten working days to process – Please visit the Royal Parks media website to complete an application. The BAJ does not issue Royal Park News Permits directly.